The following is a PARTIAL list of the toxins that you need to keep out of your pet’s reach.
Ibuprofen (e.g. Advil, Motrin) – In dogs, this medication can cause stomach and kidney problems & even impact the nervous system, causing symptoms such as depression and seizures. If you drop a pill, find it immediately! If your dog ingests a pill, be sure to make your dog vomit, if you can, as soon as you suspect he ate any pills and then call your veterinarian. Never give your dog ibuprofen for pain or discomfort.
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications – e.g. Aspirin and Aspirin containing compounds, acetaminophen (Tylenol and Tylenol containing compounds). Acetaminophen (Tylenol) can cause liver failure, swelling of the face & paws, a problem with oxygen transport in the blood and even a decrease in tear production for dogs. If your dog eats acetaminophen, go to your veterinarian immediately.
Pseudoephedrine Containing Cold Medications – In dogs, this drug causes panting, excitement, increased temperature and heart rate. Sedation may be required to settle your dog down, while fluid therapy will help flush this substance from your dog’s system.
Chocolate – This contains two potent substances: theobromine & caffeine. A dog who indulges in chocolate may show an increased heart rate and excitability, leading to possible seizures. If you can make your dog vomit, do so. Then, head to your veterinarian. It may take up to three days for the theobromine to wear off & this can be dangerous for your dog’s heart.
Ant & Roach Baits – These may be found in motels when traveling, as well as in areas around the home. If your dog ingests the bait, take him to your veterinarian, just in case.
Rodenticides – These are used to remove mice & rats. Most of these products contain anticoagulants that stimulate fatal bleeding in rodents. They also can stimulate bleeding in dogs that eat the treated blocks. Paralysis, seizures and kidney failure are all possible effects. Induce vomiting, if you can, and head directly to your vets office. Your dog may need fluids, blood tests, vitamin K injections and possibly a blood transfusion. Some rodenticides have an ingredient that causes elevated blood calcium and phosphorus levels, which lead to renal failure. If possible, bring the container of the poison to the vet’s office!
Antifreeze – Most dogs like the sweet-tasting solution. Due to acute ethylene glycol poisoning, your dog may suffer from vomiting, involuntary muscular movements, convulsions, diarrhea, renal failure, loss of appetite, rapid heart rate, rapid or panting respiration, excessive thirst. If your dog ingests antifreeze, get them to your veterinarian immediately.
Slug & Snail bait and Other Pesticides – These can cause seizures (convulsions) and may lead to death if not treated at the first onset of symptoms.
Southern California Golden Retriever Rescue PO Box is 25698, Los Angeles, CA 90025; (866) 299-1899 Rev 04/08 Page 1 of 2
Bleach – Commercial bleaches can be strong and cause irritation to your dog’s eyes or skin. A quick bath is ideal. If your dog inhales bleach, especially any bleach mixed with ammonia products, she could develop a deadly chemical pneumonitis. Get the dog out into fresh air as quickly as possible and then to your vet.
Fertilizer, including Plant “Foods” – Fungicides can be toxic. Dog who ingest fertilizer will show gastrointestinal signs, such as vomiting and/or diarrhea. They usually recover on their own. However, in some cases, they need fluids for hydration and medications to settle and soothe the stomach and intestines. Consult with your veterinarian for the best course of treatment.
Hydrocarbons, Including Paints, Polishes & Fuel Oils – These also are found in kerosene, acetone and gasoline. Dogs that swallow these products tend to have gastrointestinal upsets. The skin also can be irritated from contact. If your dog breathes in fumes or aspirates these products, he may suffer from depression or hyper-excitability, along with secondary pneumonia and liver or kidney damage. Dogs that have breathed or ingested hydrocarbons should not be made to vomit, as the risk of aspiration is too high. They need fluids to flush their systems, baths to remove any residue and saline flushing of the eyes, if any residue splashed into them.
Common Plants – Aloe, Amaryllis, Azalea, Bird of Paradise, Brunfelsia, Calla Lily, Caladium, Clematis, Cyclamen, Daffodil, Daylily, Eucalyptus, Foxglove, Holly berries, Hyacinth, Hydrangea, Iris, Dieffenbachia, Kalanchoe, Lilies, Lupine, Mistletoe, Narcissus, Oleander, Philodendron, Poison Hemlock, Rhododendron, Sago Palm, Pathos, Poinsettia, Schefflera, Tulip, Water Hemlock, Wisteria, Yew, Yucca. Consult your veterinarian immediately if your dog ingests one of these substances. To make your house and yard safe, please review the list of over 700 plants that can be harmful on PetMD
Foods – apple seeds, apricot pits, cherry pits, avocado, chocolate, coffee, onions and onion powder, garlic, grapes, raisins, macadamia nuts, mushroom plants, mustard seeds, peach pits, rhubarb leaves, alcoholic beverages, spoiled foods, salt, fatty foods, gum/candies/other foods sweetened with xylitol, tea, tomato leaves and green stems, raw yeast dough, walnuts.