Update April 12, 2018: It is with great sadness that we had to let Honeysuckle cross the Rainbow Bridge this afternoon. We understand the battle she had with pneumonia was hard on her, a slow recovery once she was to get through the next few days but she was dealt a second blow. Diagnosed with Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia, her body was not giving her a fighting chance. She was not showing signs of improvement, even after her transfusion yesterday. Honey was in the arms of loving volunteers as she passed. This is by far the most difficult part of rescue.

Update April 11, 2018: Honeysuckle’s condition continues to deteriorate. Tests this morning revealed her red blood cell count dangerously low so she was given a transfusion.

Please consider sponsoring Honeysuckle. All donations will be used for her care in ICU.

Click here for a direct link to our Facebook fundraiser for Honeysuckle’s care, or select this link to contribute directly to her care via PayPal.

Update April 10, 2018: X-rays and culture confirm pneumonia.  She is worse than  yesterday and must be on oxygen or her sats drop too low. She will probably need to remain hospitalized for at least another 48 hours.  Please keep our girl in your thoughts. She looks like such a sweet angel sleeping peacefully. 

April 9, 2018: Honeysuckle was admitted to the emergency room last night in respiratory distress.  She is currently on oxygen now, with a nebulizer and bronchodilator.  We will know more soon.

Honeysuckle’s Journey:  Honeysuckle was picked up as a stray and found herself at a local shelter.  As she moved through her stray hold and received her medical check, it was discovered she had very serious medical issues, the most urgent, untreated pyometra, which can be life-threatening. This infection had been festering a long time. Honey also suffered from ear infections, parasite infestation, spondylosis, and arthritis. 

March 29th was the soonest she could be released into our care and we immediately rushed her to our vet.  Poor Honey had trouble walking, and actually collapsed in the waiting room. 

Although her white blood cells were extremely elevated, she was relatively stable and was scheduled her for surgery the very next day. Her surgery went well. There were also two large masses removed (determined to be lipomas, but uncomfortable nonetheless) and she spent several days recovering in the ICU receiving IV fluids and antibiotics. Honeysuckle was sent home to recuperating in her loving foster home.