Jool
Jool
Jool
Jool

February 16 Update

Jool is a week and a half out from the procedure to correct the placement of her left ureter and had no complications. She is having continued urinary incontinence requiring diapers, which we knew was a possibility based on the findings during her cystoscopy.  We spoke to her treating urologist today and we will be starting her on Proin this week, which will hopefully help with the muscle tone in her urethral sphincter.  It can take some time to work, so we will continue this medication until we have our return visit on March 8, at which time she will have another ultrasound and we will discuss other options depending on how she responds to the medication.


February 8 Update

Jool had her cystoscopy and repair of her left ectopic ureter on February 7th.  They were able to successfully correct the ectopic ureter placement. Hooray! During the procedure, they did note that she has a flaccid urethra- the tube that passes urine from the bladder outside the body is a little floppy and so there is likely another anomaly causing urinary sphincter incontinence. She may remain incontinent after the ectopic ureter correction for that reason.  If that is the case, a drug like Proin may help.  Because of the procedure instrumentation, there can be swelling that may make her incontinence worse or better for a while, so we will not know for about 3-4 weeks whether she will need medication or an additional procedure to control this long term.

We will be watching Jool very closely over the next few weeks and she will return to the urologist in one month to have another ultrasound and to discuss the next options based on Jool’s level of incontinence at that time.  She is eating and playful and happy after the procedure, but unfortunately still back in diapers for the time being.

Jool is an almost 6 month old Golden Retriever puppy with urinary incontinence who was relinquished to SCGRR by her breeder. She was going to be euthanized! So of course we took her in!

The incontinence was noticed in the first few months of her little life – she dribbles urine constantly. She has no control of her bladder currently. We immediately scheduled her for an appointment with a specialist (urologist for dogs) that diagnosed her with an ectopic ureter – a defect that is present at birth where the tube connecting her kidney to her bladder (the ureter) is not attached to the normal location. This defect allows the urine, which is draining from the kidney on a near constant basis, to drain into the urethra and cause her constant dribbling. The really great news is that Jool is a candidate to have this repaired by a laser procedure during cystoscopy, where a camera is inserted into her bladder and then a laser is used to move the ureter to the normal location. Wow – right?! Jool is scheduled to have this procedure in just a few days – on February 7th.

The procedure itself to be performed by the UC Veterinary Center of San Diego is about $5,000, but there is also pre and post care which will be another $2,000 – $3,000. She will not need to be hospitalized because there is no incision. The pre-work we have already done included the initial vet specialist visit, urinalysis and culture, bloodwork to check kidney function and ultrasound, plus she needed antibiotics for her kidney infection. Poor Jool has been through so much already, we all want to help her and heal her. Post care will involve additional follow-ups with the specialist along with more urinalysis/cultures and additional ultrasound(s).

With our amazing community of donors and followers, we have already met our goal to fund Jool’s care! But please consider donating to help the many other dogs taken into rescue that need medical care. Jool also needs you to send positive thoughts, prayers, healing vibes, good mojo – whatever you’ve got please. The success rate for a good outcome is typically 80%: 60% total cure of incontinence, 20% chance that it’s mostly cured, but will need long term medication (Proin). The other 20% would mean Jool would need additional procedures.